Lars Nyland to get eccentric with tilt-rim bowls Jan. 14

An area for people to post information about upcoming events that might be of interest to WoodTurners.

Lars Nyland to get eccentric with tilt-rim bowls Jan. 14

Postby normcloutier » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:12 pm

Long-time member Lars Nyland is known to the club as the artist with a penchant for pyromania, but this month he'll be setting the fire aside to do a different kind of demo at the Jan. 14 meeting of the Woodturners Guild of NC.
Eccentric and titled-rim bowl examples from Lars Nyland

"Wide-rimmed bowls are a great platform for embellishments such as carving, painting, dying and pyrography or simply showing the grain of the wood," Lars explains.

As usual, the meeting starts at 7pm in the NC State Crafts Center and will include an instant gallery with review at the break, and club raffle at the end of the night. Many also know Lars as the club's gallery photographer, and he will spend 15-20 minutes of his demo talking about what it takes to get good photos of your work.

"Lately, I've been experimenting with remounting the bowls to get eccentric and tilted rims. I've also been fiddling with preserving the edges, either natural or chainsaw cut. We'll look at a variety of options while I turn one of these bowls showing how to get the cuts you want when you need them. "
normcloutier
Site Admin

Return to Shows, exhibits & fairs