Workshop in Bailey, NC: Sawing wood

Share your latest creations -- photos, of course -- and explain your inspiration, techniques or hurdles overcome.

Workshop in Bailey, NC: Sawing wood

Postby stephanmoll » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:17 am

A highly worthwhile, educational and enjoyable workshop was held by Mike Smith (; WGNC member) in Bailey, NC on Saturday, July 8th, 2014, organized by the WGNC.

In beautiful weather with blue sky, warm sunshine and fall colors in rural North Carolina, Mike showed the 6 WGNC members who had traveled to Bailey and one of his neighbors how to cut tree trunks with a sawmill into turning blocks. Mike shared his immense, down-to earth knowledge of trees and wood while cutting, with the help of his audience and an impressive, smooth LT-40 "Wood Mizer" sawmill, 3 different large tree trunks - a Lebanon Cedar, Honey Locust and Eastern Red Maple. A fascinating procedure leading to solemn awe and admiration as particularly the maple trunk revealed wonderful wood patterns. Captivating, instructional and fun three hours went by in no-time. Subsequently, Mike took us to his "workshop" - a collection of various storehouses with shelves full of waxed and ready-to-be-turned wood blocks. How interesting to be introduced to and get a glimpse into a person's serious hobby and passion. What a stimulating and fun experience the day was, how willingly Mike shared his knowledge. Thank you very much, Mike Smith.

The Lebanese Cedar tree going on the saw mill

Eastern Red Maple

Mike Smith, the host

I took a "scrap" piece of the Honey Locust (tree cut in Virginia) home; a wood I did not know. I couldn't wait to get into the workshop that evening - making a bowl of the Honey Locust wood (photo; 10 inch diameter) - a heavy wood with a pleasant sweetish smell. A memory of a well spent autumn day.

Honey Locust, VA - S. Moll - 2014

Stephan Moll
Chapel Hill, NC
Nov 12, 2014
Active Posters

Re: Workshop in Bailey, NC: Sawing wood

Postby plusafdotcom » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:28 am

My bowls #71-79 came from some of the offcuts of the spalted maple Mike cut that day! Amazing 'personality' in that wood!

Return to Just turned in...