Raffles at WGNC Meetings

Share your latest creations -- photos, of course -- and explain your inspiration, techniques or hurdles overcome.

Raffles at WGNC Meetings

Postby stephanmoll » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:36 pm

Dear WGNC wood turning colleagues,

I am curious to know who organizes and coordinates the raffles that take place at each monthly WGNC meeting. I have much appreciated them, particularly as I have been so fortunate to win 3 of them in the last 12 months. It is nice to get wood blanks that one may otherwise not purchase, and to be able to experiment with them.

My first win was a maple burl in Oct 2013 (photo #1) - didn’t even have a lathe then and didn’t know how to turn wood. It has been enjoyable looking at it for a year and finally, after buying a lathe and taking turning lessons, being able to turn it into a bowl – my first burl bowl. And this week I won again, including several blocks of big leaf maple (photo #2). How nice to have wood to just put on the lathe and see what happens.

Thanks to whoever organizes the raffles.

Stephan Moll
Chapel Hill

Photo #1: Maple burl
Attachments
Photo #2: Big leaf maple
stephanmoll
Active Posters

Re: Raffles at WGNC Meetings

Postby stephanmoll » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:54 pm

This is what I have learnt: The primary person organizing the raffles is Todd Hartzell; Glenn Theiss is his backup. WGNC gets wood and tools donated by members, gift certificates donated by Craft Supply, tools purchased from Kingsport and Woodcraft at a discount, and periodically a bulk purchase of wood turning blanks from Mike Smith at a discount. It's a great, fun event/service WGNC offered at the monthly meetings. Thanks to all who help make it happen.

Stephan Moll
Chapel Hill,NC
Stephan Moll
Chapel Hill
stephanmoll
Active Posters

Re: Raffles at WGNC Meetings

Postby stephanmoll » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:57 pm

This is what I have learnt: The primary person organizing the raffles is Todd Hartzell; Glenn Theiss is his backup. WGNC gets wood and tools donated by members, gift certificates donated by Craft Supply, tools purchased from Kingsport and Woodcraft at a discount, and periodically a bulk purchase of wood turning blanks from Mike Smith at a discount. It's a great, fun event/service WGNC offers at the monthly meetings. Thanks to all who help make it happen.

Stephan Moll
Chapel Hill,NC
Stephan Moll
Chapel Hill
stephanmoll
Active Posters

Return to Just turned in...