Pecan Bowl

Share your latest creations -- photos, of course -- and explain your inspiration, techniques or hurdles overcome.

Pecan Bowl

Postby chrisboerner.com » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:05 am

I have great memories of cutting a huge downed pecan tree off Lake Wheeler Rd with Norm Cloutier and Greg Gittens. We all got a bunch of pretty wood! Here is a finished piece from that tree! Great fun.
Chris Boerner
Attachments
Chris Boerner - Pecan Bowl 14" x 5"
chrisboerner.com

Re: Pecan Bowl

Postby stephanmoll » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:45 am

Pecan Festival in Whiteville, NC

Has anybody ever been to the annual pecan festival in Whiteville, NC? For those interested in selling wood bowls, a stand at the festival with pecan bowls, plates and such might be an interesting consideration.
Stephan Moll
Chapel Hill
stephanmoll
Active Posters

Postby marcbanka » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:59 pm

That's a lovely bowl, Chris. And quite generous, too!
marcbanka

Postby chrisboerner.com » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:37 pm

Thanks Marc! Just seeing your comment now and appreciate that. See you soon! Pecan is very challenging to work and dry sometimes, but can really be worth the effort! Fun to get the contrast captured between the sap and heart wood colors!

Chris
chrisboerner.com

Postby Wood Shop Mike » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:09 pm

Well done. Pecan is indeed tricky but I love that it can give a super smooth surface since it's so hard. The pecan I've worked had lots of silica in it since it grew along a river bed, so there was a little iridescence to the wood!
Wood Shop Mike

Postby stephanmoll » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:44 pm

How different your pecan wood appearance is, Chris, to mine (attached image). I enjoy the multiple tones of brown, the dark brown pigmented spots, streaks and areas; the smell of the wood. Would love to see a picture of your bowl, Mike; but how to capture photographically that fascinating iridescence you describe? Can you post a picture? Thanks.

Pecan bowl, 7.5 '', NC; clear Seal-a-Cell finish
Stephan Moll
Chapel Hill
stephanmoll
Active Posters

Return to Just turned in...