Mulberry

Share your latest creations -- photos, of course -- and explain your inspiration, techniques or hurdles overcome.

Mulberry

Postby stephanmoll » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:19 pm

Getting an unusual piece of wood
Mulberry wood: new to me. I won a piece at this week’s raffle at the WGNC meeting. At first I thought I won the least attractive of the raffle piles yesterday. However: It is always nice and interesting to get a type of wood that I have not worked with before and that I would not even have thought about buying. It is exciting: I am curious to see what it will look like once turned.

Turning the wood
The wood seemed dry; don’t have a moisture meter at this point; will see whether it distorts in the next few weeks. It turned easily. Interesting and fascinating: quite yellow-colored shavings and particularly dust. The turned and finished (clear Seal-a-cell) bowl has an incredible, beautiful golden color, and particularly a golden shimmer in some areas. I am glad I won this piece of wood in the raffle.

Questions
The wood had been in one of the cabinets in the meeting room. I have 3 questions - if anybody can answer them: thank you.
1. Does anybody know what kind of mulberry wood it is? Red mulberry, white mulberry, paper mulberry, Texas mulberry or Osage-orange?
2. Where (geographically) was the tree from, i.e.. where did it grow?
3. Who was the WGNC member who brought in this piece of wood?

Stephan Moll
Chapel Hill
stephanmoll
Active Posters

Re: Mulberry

Postby MikeMendelsohn » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:04 am

I don't know what brand of mulberry but it was grown locally. The wood was contributed by Todd Hartzell.

I have turned several pieces from that tree. The branch pieces had a strong tendency to crack as they dried but the pieces from the trunk held together well.

The color darkens over time to a medium dark yellow brown.

Todd can give you more details.
MikeMendelsohn

Postby stephanmoll » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:03 am

Thank you, Mike. I called Todd. The tree grew in Durham. He didn't know either what type of Mulberry it is.
Stephan Moll
Chapel Hill
stephanmoll
Active Posters

Postby chrisboerner.com » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:15 pm

Stephen...your excitement and enthusiasm for experimentation with different woods is contagious and very much appreciated. It really is great fun and exciting to discover a new species of wood and see what it looks like when turned and finished. I love Mulberry personally for its dense grain and rugged qualities to produce a beautiful satin finish. Mike Mendelsohn is right though that it has a tendency to move and crack, but it's worth the time to work with it.

Thank you for your post Stephen! Looking forward to seeing more of your pieces in the future! Glad you are having some luck with Seal-a Cell oil! Great stuff! See you at the next meeting!

Chris Boerner
chrisboerner.com

Return to Just turned in...